Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Bahir Dar and Blue Nile Falls


Last weekend, four other travellers and I went to a city in Northern Ethiopia called Bahir Dar. As soon as we landed, we all fell in love with the place; the sky was blue and we could breathe again!

Our first activity was a boat ride on Lake Tana (apparently one of the biggest lakes in Africa) to an Orthodox Christian monastery that was built in the 14th century. Christianity in Ethiopia is really interesting, as it has been here for a really long time and it is said to be the home of the original stone with the ten commandments! The country is full of old monasteries and churches that are carved out of rocks. My grandma would have loved it. Anyway, the monastery was beautiful; it had artwork that reminded me of the Buddhist monasteries I saw in Tibet. The buildings are made of three concentric circles, the outermost for the public to pray, the second circle for priests, and the inner circle for a replica of the 10 commandments. I really enjoyed touring these monasteries; I felt like a part of history!

The next day, we drove about an hour on a ridiculously bumpy road (our tour guide said we were getting an “African massage”) to the Blue Nile. It was cool to see the countryside, but it was a little bit sad at the same time. Aside from a few areas that looked fertile and arable, everything was brown. It seemed like most people were cattle herders (apparently Ethiopia has the eighth largest population of domesticated animals in the world!). A book I was reading said that cattle grazing has created a lot of deforestation, which causes rain to wash away all the fertile soil. In Uganda, it seemed like even if villagers didn’t have any money, they could usually plant food to survive. I don’t know if the same is true in Ethiopia, and that worries me.

Once we got to the area of the Blue Nile, we took a short hike to Blue Nile falls. This part of the Nile is NOT blue; in fact it is totally mud brown, which made out tour guide giggle. After we saw a great view of the falls from the top of the mountain, we hiked on a wobbly suspension bridge (which was actually really fun) right down to the river. We just hung out on rocks while being misted by the waterfall. I was splashed by the Nile, I feel famous!

On our final day in Bahir Dar, we went on a Bike tour around town. Although my bike was falling apart, it was great! We rode over a bridge across the Nile, and saw hippos! We weren’t allowed to take pictures though, because the government is worried that someone will try to destroy the bridge. They are building a dam on the Nile to use for hydro- electric power and irrigation, but Sudan and Egypt are worried it will cut off a lot of their water flow. So I could not capture the cute hippos in a photo!

Everything about the trip was so wonderful, until we were about to fly back home and it started storming (helllooo rainy season). We were stuck in the Bahir Dar airport, which is literally like a garage, for five extra hours! And the power, at the airport, went off at least three times, leaving us totally blind in this garage- like structure with 50 strangers. Every time it happened, people would groan loudly (me included); it was actually pretty funny haha. But we made it back eventually, no harm done. The whole time I was in Bahir Dar, I was thinking of the town I lived in in Uganda. I miss it! It had more of a community feeling like Bahir Dar, and people were a little less aggressive than in Addis Ababa. I think next time I travel, I will make sure I live in a little town instead of a capital city, although living in Addis is a great experience of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment